How Brexit will impact your .EU domain ownership
As of January 1, 2021, EURid has begun suspending any domains with UK or Gibraltar-based registration records. Due to Brexit, these areas are no longer part of the EU, and as such registrants are no longer eligible to hold these domains.
EU registry timeline
December 31st, 2020
- UK registrants were provided a transition period until this date to update their registration records to comply with the new .EU requirements.
January 1st, 2021
- UK registrants have been notified via email their domain is no longer compliant with registry requirements, and the domain's status was set to "SUSPENDED" at the registry. Domains in suspended status will not resolve until the new requirements are met. Registrants have until March 31st, 2021, to update their registration data and lift the suspension.
April 1st, 2021
- UK registrants will be reminded again their .EU domain is no longer compliant with registry regulations and will be set to "WITHDRAWN" status. Domains in withdrawn status will not resolve or support services until registry requirements are met.
January 1st, 2022
- Domains in withdrawn status assigned to UK registrants will be revoked and available for public registration.
Update your registration records
Registrants for .EU domains will need to meet any of the following requirements.
- An EU citizen, independently of their place of residence.
- A natural person is not an EU citizen and a resident of a Member State.
- An undertaking that is established in the EU.
- An organization that is established in the EU, without prejudice to the application of national law.
If you meet these requirements, please reach out to Hover support for further assistance.
Other TLDs to consider
If you are no longer able to keep your existing .UK domain due to the new registry requirements, you may want to register a similar domain name with a different TLD.
A list of the hundreds of TLDs that Hover currently supports can be found on our Domain Pricing page.
Still need some help? Submit a Request.