This tutorial will show you how to Connect your domain name at your Shopify.
To point your domain name at Shopify, please complete the following steps:
How to Connect
- Log into your Hover account on the sign in page: https://www.hover.com/signin
- From the Your Account menu, choose Domains.
- Click on the domain you wish to connect to.
Ensure in the Nameservers section on the Overview page the name servers are pointed to ns1.hover.com and ns2.hover.com.
PLEASE NOTE: changing your nameservers may disrupt any domain forwards or email hosting services. If you are in doubt whether this applies to you, please contact customer service by email at email@example.com, live chat down below in the chat window, or give us a call at 1-866-731-6556 Mon-Fri 8am-11pm, Sat-Sun 8am-8pm EST.
If you need help editing your nameservers see: How to: Change your domain nameservers
- Next, up to the right, click the Connect tab.
- It will list all the services, click Select on the one you wish to connect your domain to.
- Follow the directions and then click Connect.
- Now your domain is connected and should look something like this.
Add an additional Record Manually
You’ll receive an email from Medium with information on DNS records that need to be configured. Hover’s Connect feature will have added the required A-Records and a CNAME to forward the www version of your domain to the root or apex (i.e www.yourdomain.com to yourdomain.com).
There will be one additional CNAME that Medium will send you in this email. It’s used to verify that you are in control of the domain name so that Medium can purchase and install an SSL Certificate for your domain on their servers (at no cost to you).
The section will look something like this:
Your new CNAME record has two parts: a domain and a target. Together, the domain and the target values create one record which will re-direct your domain or subdomain to our custom domain system.
CNAME Domain (may also be called “Host” or “Name”): [long string of letters and numbers]
Some registrars (like namecheap, google domains, gandi, and hover) will only allow you to add the string of numbers and letters before your domain or subdomain. If adding the entire string with the domain name doesn’t work, try just adding the alphanumeric string (token) before your domain. (If using a subdomain, try as "token.subdomain", and leave off the domain.)
CNAME Target (may also be marked “Points to” or “Value”): [another long string of letters and numbers].comodoca.com
- You’ll need to create a CNAME for your domain. Click the DNS tab.
- Click Add a Record
- Then select CNAME from the Type. Enter the CNAME Domain string of characters from the email in the Hostname and the CNAME Target information in the Target Name field. Click Add Record.
That’s it! You are done.
It can take an hour or two, up to a day for Medium to get things set up on their side, including having the SSL certificate installed. You may see a “security warning” for a short period of time while they complete the setup.
If you have any questions or need help entering the special CNAME, give Hover Support a call and they can help you out.