Hover's domain forwarding service allows you to create unlimited, custom redirections using yourdomain.com/shortcut or shortcut.yourdomain.com.
To create these additional domain forwards, complete the following steps:
1. Sign in to your Hover account HERE.
2. If there is more than one domain name in your account, click on the domain you want to redirect. This will open its Domain Details page.
3. Check your domain's nameservers. If the nameservers are ns1.hover.com and ns2.hover.com, then you can skip to the next step. If your name servers are not set to Hover, click on the EDIT button and change your name servers to ns1.hover.com and ns2.hover.com. Click HERE if you need more detailed instructions on how to change your domain's name servers.
PLEASE NOTE: changing your nameservers may disrupt any third party website or email hosting services. If you are in doubt whether this applies to you, please contact customer service by email at email@example.com or give us a call at 1-866-731-6556.
4. Click on the DNS tab. Double check that your domain name's A records are pointed at 22.214.171.124, as pictured below. You can skip to the next step if this is how your domain is configured already.
If your domain is not pointed at 126.96.36.199 then domain forwarding will not work. This means you are pointing your domain to another IP, possible for your existing website.
You can edit existing DNS records by placing your mouse cursor over the hostname and clicking on edit DNS. Alternatively, you can use the Reset to default link to reset all of your DNS records to the Hover defaults. Editing or resetting DNS records will point your domain name away from any third party hosting services you may be currently using.
Click HERE if you need more detailed instructions on how to edit your DNS records.
6. Enter a Shortcut Name and then enter the destination address in the Forward To text field. The Shortcut Name is what will appear at the end of your custom URL, for example, yourdomain.com/shortcutname
There are a couple other option for you to chose from, but they are optional:
Make this a subdomain - This will make a subdomain forward. For example, checking this option will turn the above example to shortcutname.yourdomain.com, instead of yourdomain.com/shortcutname
Mask this - Check this if you want your custom domain forward to remain in the address bar after loading the destination website. Please note that stealth redirection will not work with all websites. Some websites, such as YouTube, will not allow you to use masking.
Click Save when you are finished.
7. To edit an existing forward, mouseover it and click on the appropriate link.
Forward - Allows you to edit the existing destination address
Subdomain - Allows you to turn a shortcut into a subdomain forward, and vice-versa if it already is a subdomain
Mask - Allows you to turn on/off masking (stealth)
Remove - Allows you to delete the forward all together
8. To view your forward in action, wait about 15 mins and you can view your forward. In the example above, you'd type in monsieursbucket.com/cupcakes in the address bar.