Changing your domain nameservers
Nameservers (DNS Servers) point to the provider your site is using to manage your domains DNS setup. DNS Management can be done through Hover, your hosting provider, or a third-party DNS service provider.
If the domain is registered through us initially (this doesn't include aftermarket domains), it will have our nameservers by default. These nameservers are ns1.hover.com and ns2.hover.com. Some providers, require you to use their nameservers instead for your DNS setup; in this case, they will provide you with the ones to use.
Things to keep in mind when changing your nameservers:
- Each domain requires at least two nameservers to run correctly.
- Your domain cannot have your nameservers pointed to multiple providers at once this will disrupt your service.
- Once saved the changes can take 24-48 hours to propagate across the internet.
- Once saved, we cannot stop a nameserver change from taking place.
- The Connect and forward tools on our site require the nameservers to be pointing over to Hover for use.
Adjusting nameservers from your domain's overview page
- Login to your account at Hover.
- Click Your Account and then Domains.
If you have one domain, you will be taken directly to your Domains overview page. If there are more domains, you will be taken to Your Domains. On the Your Domains page, click the domain in the list to be taken to its overview page.
- Once on the overview page, navigate to nameservers on the left-hand side of the page.
- Click on Edit a text box will appear where you can edit the nameservers. You can also add extra nameservers if required by your DNS provider.
- Click Save nameservers to push through the changes.
Adjusting nameservers for accounts with multiple domains
Alternatively, you can edit your nameservers directly from Your Account under Nameservers. This menu is available if you have multiple domains.
From here, you can edit the nameservers for multiple domains at once by selecting the Edit button beside the domains. You will have two choices within this menu:
- Edit nameservers: A menu where you can adjust the domain's nameservers.
- Reset nameservers: This resets the nameservers to our default setting.
You can also edit the nameservers for multiple domains at once using the Bulk Edit function.
- Select the domains by toggling each domain and then click the dropdown Bulk edit: select.
- Click on Edit nameservers and make the changes in the pop-up window. You can also perform a bulk edit on the nameservers from the Your Domains menu.
As a reminder, the nameserver change can take up to 24-48 hours to propagate.
Still need some help? Submit a Request.