Changing your domain nameservers
Nameservers (DNS Servers) point to the provider your site is using to manage your domain's DNS setup. DNS Management can be done through Hover, your hosting provider, or a third-party DNS service provider.
If the domain is registered through us initially (this doesn't include aftermarket domains), it will have our nameservers by default. These nameservers are ns1.hover.com and ns2.hover.com. Some providers require you to use their nameservers instead for your DNS setup; in this case, they will provide you with the ones to use.
Things to keep in mind when changing your nameservers:
- Each domain requires at least two nameservers to run correctly.
- Your domain cannot have your nameservers pointed to multiple providers at once this will disrupt your service.
- Once saved, the changes can take 24-48 hours to propagate across the internet.
- Once saved, we cannot stop a nameserver change from taking place.
- The Connect and forward tools on our site require the nameservers to be pointing over to Hover for use.
Adjusting nameservers for a single domain
- Sign in to your Hover control panel using your chosen method of 2FA.
If you have a single domain you will be taken directly to your domain's overview page. If you have multiple, it will direct to you a list of your domains, click on the domain name to be taken to its overview page.
- On the overview page, navigate to nameservers on the left-hand side of the page and select Edit.
- Enter your updated nameserver information in the pop-up window. If needed, you can also add extra nameservers.
- Click Save nameservers to push through the changes. It can take 24-48 hours for the change to be complete.
Adjusting nameservers for multiple domains
Alternatively, you can edit your nameservers directly from the Nameservers page on the navigation bar. This menu is available if you have multiple domains.
You can edit the nameservers for multiple domains at once by selecting the Edit button beside the domains. You will have two choices within this menu:
- Edit nameservers: A menu where you can adjust the domain's nameservers.
- Reset nameservers: This resets the nameservers to our default setting.
You can also edit the nameservers for multiple domains at once using the Bulk Edit function.
- Select the domains by toggling each domain and then click the dropdown Bulk edit: select.
- Click on Edit nameservers and make the changes in the pop-up window. You can also perform a bulk edit on the nameservers from the Your Domains menu.
Note: The nameserver change can take up to 24-48 hours to propagate.
Still need some help? Submit a Request.