Domain forwarding (also called URL forwarding) redirects your domain name to another existing website.
To configure or modify your domain forwarding preferences, complete the following steps:
1. Sign in to your Hover account HERE.
2. If there is more than one domain name in your account, click on the domain you want to redirect. This will open its Domain Details page.
3. Check your domain's nameservers. If the nameservers are ns1.hover.com and ns2.hover.com, then you can skip to the next step. If your name servers are not set to Hover, click on the EDIT button and change your name servers to ns1.hover.com and ns2.hover.com. Click HERE if you need more detailed instructions on how to change your domain's name servers.
PLEASE NOTE: changing your nameservers may disrupt any third party website or email hosting services. If you are in doubt whether this applies to you, please contact customer service by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or give us a call at 1-866-731-6556.
4. Click on the DNS tab. Double check that your domain name's A records are pointed at 126.96.36.199, as pictured below. You can skip to the next step if this is how your domain is configured already.
If your domain is not pointed at 188.8.131.52 then domain forwarding will not work. This means you are pointing your domain to another IP, possible for your existing website.
You can edit existing DNS records by placing your mouse cursor over the hostname and clicking on edit DNS. Alternatively, you can use the Reset to default link to reset all of your DNS records to the Hover defaults. Editing or resetting DNS records will point your domain name away from any third party hosting services you may be currently using.
Click HERE if you need more detailed instructions on how to edit your DNS records.
5. Click on the Domain Details tab again, and then click on EDIT in the Forward This Domain section.
6. Select Yes to enable forwarding and then type the destination address in the Forward to text field.
Enable stealth redirection is optional. Select this option if you want your domain name to remain in the address bar after loading the destination website. If you select stealth redirection, you will also see options to entering a page title, description, and keywords. Please note that stealth redirection will not work with all websites. Some websites, such as YouTube and Facebook will not allow you to use a stealth redirect, as well as various other websites and hosting services. The stealth (or masking) function may not work properly.
Click SAVE when finished.
8. In the example below, monsieursbucket.com has been forwarded to a Wikipedia article using stealth redirection.
Domain Forwarding Tip: If you have one of your domain names forwarded directly to another domain name, such as monsieursbucket.com -> cbc.ca, then you can use your domain name to point at a directory at the destination domain name. For example, if monsieursbucket.com is configured to forward to cbc.ca then http://monsieursbucket.com/sports will load http://www.cbc.ca/sports