How to: Forward your domain name to another website
This article will show you how you can forward your domain name to another website (URL). When you forward your domain to another URL, you are redirecting visitors to your domain to another URL/website.
To create your domain forward, follow these steps:
- Sign in to your Hover account at: https://hover.com/signin
- If you have more than one domain, click on the one you want to Forward. This will take you to the Overview page.
- Check to see what Nameservers your domain is pointed at.
If the nameservers are ns1.hover.com and ns2.hover.com, then you can skip to the next step. If your name servers are not set to Hover, click on the EDIT button and change your name servers to ns1.hover.com and ns2.hover.com.
PLEASE NOTE: changing your nameservers may disrupt any third party website or email hosting services. If you are in doubt whether this applies to you, please contact customer service by email at email@example.com, live chat down below in the chat window, or give us a call at 1-866-731-6556 Mon-Fri 8am-8pm, Sat-Sun 12pm-5pm EST.
If you need help editing your nameservers see: How to: Change your domain nameservers
- Click on the DNS tab. If your blank (@) A record is pointed at 126.96.36.199, as pictured below, continue to the next step. The wildcard (*) A record is not required, but is recommended (it will allow www.yourdomain.com to forward as well).
If your domain is not pointed at 188.8.131.52 the domain forwarding will not work. If you have a different IP address in here it could be for your existing website. If you don't need the old IP address any more, you can click on Edit and change these to Hover.
For help editing DNS records, see: How to: Edit DNS Records
- Click on the Overview tab again, and then click on Forward This Domain in the Forwards section.
- Chose the blank domain from the drop down list.
- Enter the full URL (including the http:// or https://) in the Forwarding To section.
Click Save Forward when finished.
- Your domain forward will be displayed in the Forwards section.
Domain Forwarding Tip: If you have one of your domain names forwarded directly to another domain name, then you can use your domain name to point at a directory at the destination domain name.
For example, if walktheplanky.com is configured to forward to http://cbc.ca then http://walktheplanky.com/sports will load http://www.cbc.ca/sports
Still need some help? Submit a Request.