This tutorial will show you how to Connect your domain name at your Squarespace 7.
Step 1: Linking Your Domain
- Log into your Squarespace account.
- In the Home Menu, click Settings, then click Domains
- Click Connect a Third-Party Domain.
- Enter the full domain name you’re linking in the Domain Name box, and then click Continue.
Select Hover from the drop-down menu.
Click Connect Domain.
- You'll see a message letting you know that the connection to your domain is in progress. Click Okay to continue.
A new panel will open with the records you need to enter in your Hover account so your domain connects to Squarespace. Keep this panel open for your reference.
Step 2: Setting up the DNS in your Hover account
To point your domain name at Squarespace, please complete the following steps:
How to Connect
- Log into your Hover account on the sign in page: https://www.hover.com/signin
- From the Your Account menu, choose Domains.
- Click on the domain you wish to connect to.
Ensure in the Nameservers section on the Overview page the name servers are pointed to ns1.hover.com and ns2.hover.com.
PLEASE NOTE: changing your nameservers may disrupt any domain forwards or email hosting services. If you are in doubt whether this applies to you, please contact customer service by email at email@example.com, live chat down below in the chat window, or give us a call at 1-866-731-6556 Mon-Fri 8am-11pm, Sat-Sun 8am-8pm EST.
If you need help editing your nameservers see: How to: Change your domain nameservers
- Next, up to the right, click the Connect tab.
- It will list all the services, click Select on the one you wish to connect your domain to.
- Follow the directions, enter your Verify Value then click Connect.
- Now your domain is connected and should look something like this.
Step 3: Refresh
After changing your records, return to the Squarespace Domains panel, and click Refresh below the records.
The Current Data column in the panel will start to update and show if your records are entered correctly. It could take up to 24 hours for this information to process.
To go the previous panel, click the Back arrow in the top-left corner.
Step 4: Wait and Test
If all records are entered correctly, your domain will connect to your site within 24 hours. Visit the Domains panel at any time to check your progress.
When the domain is correctly linked, the domain will appear in the Domains panel with a “Correctly Linked” label.
Step 5: Troubleshoot with the DNS record checker
If Squarespace detects that your records weren’t set up properly, your domain will appear in the Domains panel with the message “Can’t verify domain ownership.”
To troubleshoot, use the DNS checker tool in the Domains panel to see the exact CNAME and A Records to fix with your domain provider.
Click the domain in the Domains panel, and then click DNS Settings. For detailed instructions, visit Checking your domain mapping records.
If you need more help, contact Hover customer support!