This tutorial will show you how to point your Hover domain name at your Squarespace 5 (classic) hosted website.
There are two general steps that need to be performed to use your domain name with Squarespace: set up the correct DNS records in your Hover account and linking your domain in your Squarespace account.
Set up your DNS Records in Hover to Point at Squarespace
- Visit https://www.hover.com/signin and sign in with your Hover username and password.
- From the Your Account menu, choose Domains.
- Click on the domain you wish to connect to Squarespace 5.
Ensure in the Nameservers section on the Overview page the name servers are pointed to ns1.hover.com and ns2.hover.com.
PLEASE NOTE: changing your nameservers may disrupt any domain forwards or email hosting services. If you are in doubt whether this applies to you, please contact customer service by email at firstname.lastname@example.org, live chat down below in the chat window, or give us a call at 1-866-731-6556 Mon-Fri 8am-11pm, Sat-Sun 8am-8pm EST.
If you need help editing your nameservers see: How to: Change your domain nameservers
Next, go to the DNS tab.
- To point your domain at Squarespace, two A records need to be updated, the blank A record (@) for your root domain, and the wildcard A record (*) for sub domains (i.e. www.yourdomain.com).
- Enter the following IP address in the text box and then click Save:
Squarespace 5 (classic): 126.96.36.199
- Both A records for the domain are now pointed to Squarespace.
Link to Your Domain in Squarespace 5
- Log in to your Squarespace 5 website, click on the gear icon on the right hand side to load Settings, and then click on the Domains link.
Tip: you can hit the escape (Esc) key on your keyboard while viewing your website as a shortcut to log in to your Squarespace control panel.
- Click on + Link Existing Domain.
- Type in your Hover domain name and then click Add.
- A warning may be displayed next to your domain name. Click on the exclamation for more information.
- Changes to DNS records can take anywhere from 15 minutes to 48 hours to update across the Internet. If you see a warning like the one pictured below that your domain is not correctly pointing to Squarespace, don't despair! This is normal. Within 48 hours, your domain will load your Squarespace 5 website
Have more questions? Submit a request