This tutorial will show you how to point your Hover domain name at your Squarespace 5 (classic) hosted website.
There are two general steps that need to be performed to use your domain name with Squarespace: set up the correct DNS records in your Hover account and linking your domain in your Squarespace account.
- Visit https://www.hover.com/signin and sign in with your Hover username and password.
- If you have more then one domain name in your Hover.com account, click on the domain name that you are using with Squarespace to take you to the Domain Details page.
- Under Domain Details, check your nameservers to make sure they are pointed at ns1.hover.com and ns2.hover.com. If you need help changing your nameservers, click here for a tutorial.
You can use the Edit button on the right and enter the following: ns1.hover.com and ns2.hover.com.
- Click on the DNS tab.
- To point your domain at Squarespace, two A records need to be updated, the blank A record (@) for your root domain, and the wildcard A record (*) for sub domains (i.e. www.yourdomain.com).
Mouse over the @ and * entries for your domain's A records and click on edit DNS.
- Enter the following IP address in the text box and then click Save:
Squarespace 5 (classic): 126.96.36.199
- As pictured below, both A records for the domain are now pointed to Squarespace.
- Log in to your Squarespace 5 website, click on the gear icon on the right hand side to load Settings, and then click on the Domains link.
Tip: you can hit the escape (Esc) key on your keyboard while viewing your website as a shortcut to log in to your Squarespace control panel.
- Click on + Link Existing Domain.
- Type in your Hover domain name and then click Add.
- A warning may be displayed next to your domain name. Click on the exclamation for more information.
- Changes to DNS records can take anywhere from 15 minutes to 48 hours to update across the Internet. If you see a warning like the one pictured below that your domain is not correctly pointing to Squarespace, don't despair! This is normal. Within 48 hours, your domain will load your Squarespace 5 website