This tutorial will show you how to point your domain name at your Jimdo website hosting using Hover DNS services. Please note that you need a JimdoPro or JimdoBusiness site account to use your own domain name.
To point your domain name at Jimdo, please complete the following steps:
- Visit https://www.hover.com/signin and sign in with your Hover username and password.
- If you have more then one domain name in your Hover.com account, click on the domain name that you are using with Jimdo to take you to the Domain Details page.
- Verify that your Nameservers are set to ns1.hover.com and ns2.hover.com.
If you need to change your nameservers, click here for instructions.
- Click on the DNS tab.
- Check that your A Records for @ and * are pointed at Hover's IP address, 126.96.36.199.
If your A records are not pointed at Hover, mouseover them, one at a time, and click on the revert to default link.
Click Yes to reset to original settings.
- Click on the Add New button.
- Create the following record:
Record Type: CNAME
Target Host: your-jimdo-name.jimdo.com(where your-jimdo-name is the name of your Jimdo account).
- Your DNS records will now list a www CNAME record that points www.yourdomainname.com at Jimdo.
- Click on the Domain Details tab and then click on the Edit button across from Forward This Domain.
- Select the Yes radio button to forward your domain name and then type http://www.yourdomainname.com in the text box (where yourdomainname.com is the domain name that you are are pointing at your web host). In the example illustrated below, I am setting up the forward for crimsonpermanentassurance.net. This will ensure that your website comes up if a visitor does not type the "www." in front of your domain name in their web browser's address bar.
Your domain is now pointed at your Jimdo hosting. Please allow up to 24 hours for your new DNS settings to take effect.