Troubleshoot receiving emails
There are several common reasons for not receiving emails when using Hover's mail service. These include exceeding your mailbox space quota, incorrect MX records for the domain, blocked senders, and temporary mail server problems.
- Verify mailbox password in webmail
- Verify receiving in webmail
- Check server settings through your email client
- Confirm your domains MX record
- Add an email address to the allowed senders list
- Mailbox storage quota exceeded
- Contact Hover support
Verify mailbox password in webmail
Logging in to the Hover webmail will verify that the mailbox password is correct. This is an important first step to ensure the login credentials used in a mail client are correct.
- Navigate to Hover's webmail portal. Enter your email address and password, followed by Login. If the login is unsuccessful, update the mailbox password.
Verify receiving in webmail
If you cannot receive email in your mail client, verify whether you can receive mail within Hover's webmail. This will determine if the issues are client related.
- Login toHover's webmail portal.
- Check if your expected emails are in your webmail inbox.
Note: If not, the issue is not isolated to your mail client. Check your server settings through your email client.
Check server settings through your email client
If you can receive email through Hover's webmail but not in your email client, you will want to confirm that your email server settings are correct.
|Incoming mail server||mail.hover.com||mail.hover.com|
|Outgoing mail server||mail.hover.com||mail.hover.com|
|Username||Full email address||Full email address|
Confirm the domain MX record
Hover's MX record must be entered in the DNS settings to receive email.
- Sign in to the Hover control panel.
- From the domain's overview page, confirm what nameservers you're using.
Note: If your nameservers are not pointing to Hover, your DNS records are being managed by a third-party provider. You will want to ensure Hover's MX record is added where you manage your DNS.
- If you are using Hover's name servers, navigate to the DNS tab.
- Ensure Hover's MX record is present.
- If you're using an MX record that is not Hover's, it will need to be updated. Ensure the non-Hover MX record is not in use before removing it. Select X beside your current unused MX record to remove it.
- Select by Add record. Enter in the MX record details followed by New record.
Note: DNS propagation after making changes can take up to 24-48 hours.
Type MX Hostname @ Priority 10 Mail Server mx.hover.com.cust.hostedemail.com TTL 15 minutes
Add an email address to the allowed sender's list
If you cannot receive messages from a specific email address, you can add it to your approved sender's list. The allowed senders list lets you create a list of senders that will be automatically allowed and bypass the spam filter.
- Sign in to Hover's webmail portal.
- Click Settings in the vertical menu, followed by Spam settings.
- Type in the address you are not receiving emails from in the Allowed sender's field and click Save.
Note: You can allow-list the entire range of email addresses coming from one domain by putting an asterisk (*) before the at (@) symbol.
Mailbox storage quota exceeded
If you have exceeded the quota of your email account, you will not be able to receive any more email messages. You may see an error when trying to send mail that your mailbox is full.
You can check if you have reached your mailbox quota in your webmail.
- Sign in to Hover's webmail portal.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the mailbox. You'll see a disk usage indicator. You've exceeded your mailbox limit if it is red and indicates 100% full when you mouse over the image.
- If your mailbox has exceeded its storage limit, you must perform mailbox maintenance by removing emails to free up storage. If you have a small mailbox, you can increase it to a big mailbox.
Contact Hover support
If you still do not receive emails after going through the above steps, there may be a temporary mail server outage. You can check hoverstatus.com for details.
If you still cannot receive an email from one specific sender after taking the steps above, check if they received a bounceback email. This bounceback email can be provided to Hover customer support for further investigation. The IP address they are sending from may also be blocklisted, which would require support assistance.
Phone support can be reached at 1-866-731-6556 or International Toll-Free +800-371-69922.
Start a chat with support by selecting the chat icon on the lower right of the main Hover page.
Email support at email@example.com.
Still need some help? Submit a Request.