What is it?
Our valet transfer service is a no-hassle transfer service where a Hover Customer Adviser handles most of the messy details for you. All you need to do is contact us and provide us with your login credentials for your current registrar, and we can take care of the rest for you. Better still, our valet transfer service is free. Whether you'd like us to transfer one domain or many, the only thing you pay for is the cost of the transfer.
To request a valet transfer, just give us a call (1-866-731-6556 Monday - Friday 8am to 11pm Eastern, Saturday and Sunday 8am to 8pm Eastern) or send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
How does it work?
When you contact Hover about using our valet service to transfer a domain, the Customer Adviser will ask you for the following information:
- Names of the domains you want to transfer.
- Name of your current (losing) registrar.
- Username and password of your account at the losing registrar.
- Whether you have web hosting and/or email at the losing registrar.
Tip: If you are an existing Hover customer, you can simply email us from your primary email address and include this information to open a Support request.
We can transfer your email when we transfer your domain name. Hover does not provide web hosting services however, so if your site is hosted at the current (losing) registrar, you should let them know that you will be transferring the domain, but that you want to continue to use their hosting service.
The Customer Adviser will create a Hover account for you if you don't already have one. You will need to add or update the billing information on account (we do not accept PayPal for transfers).
The Customer Adviser then sends you an email with a summary of the pertinent information including the price for the transfer, and asks you to confirm that everything is correct and that you want to proceed. Once we receive your confirmation, the Customer Adviser copies over the DNS details, updates the nameservers, turns off Whois Privacy and Domain locking, and initiates the transfer at the losing registrar. The Adviser will email you to to let you know that the transfer is underway.
You may receive email from your current registrar asking you to confirm that you want to transfer the domains away from them. If you get such an email, you must respond to authorize the transfer; otherwise, it will be canceled.
Once the transfer completes, the Customer Adviser will let you know.
- Some registries add a year when a domain is transferred, in which case you will be charged for a one year renewal in addition to the transfer fee.
- If the domain is expired, we might not be able to transfer it.
- Domains that were registered less than 60 days ago, and domains that were transferred within the last 60 days, are under registry lock. If the domain you want to transfer is within that 60 day lock period (that is, it was registered or transferred less than 60 days ago), we will not be able to transfer it until after the 60 day period ends.
How long does it take?
The entire process may take 5 to 7 days from the time that Hover initiates the transfer with the losing registrar. This includes the time it takes to get authorization codes, copy over any necessary DNS settings, and update the nameservers. It can take up to 24 hours for nameserver changes to propagate throughout the Internet, after which the Customer Adviser will unlock your domain and turn off privacy. Sometimes the losing registrar will send you an email asking you to confirm these changes before the transfer process can continue.
Rest assured that the Customer Adviser will be following up throughout this time to keep you updated on the status of the transfer.