Transferring a domain to Hover
Transferring your domain is the process of moving domain management from one registration provider to another.
- Preparing for transfer
- Initiating the transfer
- .UK Domain Transfers
Preparing for transfer
We recommend looking at your current registrar's transfer away instructions as well as ours before getting started.
If your provider of choice isn't listed above, then check your provider's help center.
There are two things needed before you can start a transfer:
- You must unlock your domain with your current registrar.
- You need to acquire your domain's transfer authorization code (also referred to as an EPP or auth code).
Things to consider when transferring
Most domain providers cut access to their nameservers as soon as a transfer is initiated. If you rely on your current domain provider's nameservers for custom DNS records (website hosting, email, etc.), you need to prepare your domain before transferring. Failure to do so can lead to a loss of service until the transfer completes.
Domain transfers will fail if:
- The domain name is locked.
- The domain name was registered or transferred in the past 60 days (a registry lock is applied that your registration provider cannot lift).
- The authorization code provided is invalid.
- The domain name is in redemption (or expired, in some cases).
- There is an unresolved domain dispute.
Initiating the transfer
- Navigate to the transfer page on Hover.
- Enter the domain name to be transferred and click the arrow to search.
- The results will display the transfer cost and also provide a domain status. A green check should display to verify the domain is eligible for the transfer — The pricing for the domains can be referenced on our domain pricing page.
Note: A blue star beside the domain name represents a premium domain, the pricing for premium domains differs from the normal pricing for a domain extension and the registry sets the pricing around these domains.
- Click Add to cart.
- You can continue to search for and add domains before proceeding. When ready, click Proceed to cart under Cart Summary.
- On the Shopping Cart page, enter your domain's authorization code, and once done, click Secure checkout.
- You will be asked to sign in or create an account if not already signed up and logged in.
- Fill out your Full Name and Address as you would like them to appear in your domain registration records, and then click Continue. If already signed in, it will take the information from your domain defaults.
Note: This information must be correct and accurate to ensure you always have control over your domains.
- You will be asked to provide billing information to process the payment. You can use a credit card, PayPal, or Apple Pay. If you're already logged in, you can choose from your billing saved on file.
- Check I have read and agree to the Terms of Service, and then click Submit Order. The terms of service must be agreed to before the order can proceed.
- Some registrars may require a domain transfer approval via a confirmation email that they send out for the transfer to complete.
Transfers can take between five-seven days to complete.
.UK Domain Transfers
To transfer a .UK domain into Hover the domains registrar tag (IPS tag) must be pointing to the following: TUCOWS-CA. Similar to what was mentioned above, when the IPS Tag is changed, a provider may cut access to their nameservers right away, which can cause downtime on your site. You may need to do some DNS preparation before changing this tag if this applies to you. Lastly .UK domain Transfers need to be done by Hover Support manually. Reach out, and we'll assist with this.
Still need some help? Submit a Request.