The following Transfer Out process applies to the majority of domains supported by Hover. If you have a ccTLD (country code top level domain such as .io, .de, .ch, etc) with special instructions, or that doesn't follow this guide, please contact support and we'll be able to give you a hand.
In order to transfer your domain away, you must complete the following actions:
- Turn off Whois Privacy
- Update the Administrative Contact Email Address (if required)
- Turn off domain Transfer Lock
- Obtain the Authorization Code
Note: You can transfer your domain away from Hover at any time. You do not need to wait until the expiration date. In fact, it's recommended that you don't leave a transfer until the last minute so you have plenty of time to get it completed. The majority of domains will be renewed for one year, with the New Provider, upon transfer.
- Sign in to your Hover account https://www.hover.com/signin
- If you have more than one domain name in your account you will see a list of Your Domains. From this list you can click on the domain name you are transferring away. You can also click on the Edit menu, and choose More.
If you only have one domain name in your account, you will be on the correct page upon login, so you can skip ahead to the next step.
- On the domain Overview page, you can now prepare the domain for transfer.
A) Set Whois Privacy to Off.
B) Set the Transfer Lock to Off.
C) Retrieve your Authorization Code, and copy it down. You will need to provide this to the new registrar so they can complete your transfer.
D) Check the Admin contact to ensure the Email Address is valid and you have access to it. If you need to edit the email address, you can click on Edit. If you need help editing this, you can check out our help article, How To: Update Registration Records.
- Now that these steps have been completed, you can have the new provider initiate a transfer for you. Please contact a new service provider of your choice and ask them to initiate the transfer.
A few notes about transfers out:
- The new provider may require the admin contact email address to receive and approve the transfer before it can be initiated. Once this is approved, the transfer will be submitted.
- The transfer process is automated. If you have initiated a transfer with the new provider, and you have not yet received an email from Hover to approve it, the transfer probably hasn't yet been submitted to us. When our system receives a request to transfer a domain out, we immediately send an email to the Admin Contact Email Address asking them to approve or decline the transfer. If you approve this, the transfer will complete right away.
- If you do not approve this final email, the transfer will auto-complete in 5-7 days.
- To cancel a transfer OUT of Hover, you must either decline the transfer using the link in the email we would have sent you, or, you can contact support to see if we're able to resend this email to you, so you can decline the transfer. This may not always be available, and once you have approved the transfer, we cannot cancel it.