Transferring your domain away from Hover
You can transfer your domain away from Hover at any time, and you do not need to wait until the domain's expiration date. In fact, we recommend you take care of the transfer earlier, so you have plenty of time to get it completed. The majority of domain TLD's will have a year added to the registration upon transfer.
- Prepping and initiating the transfer
- Transferring .UK domains
- Additional information about transferring
Prepping and initiating the transfer
- Sign in to Hover.
- Click on Your Account and then Domains to navigate to the domains overview page.
Note: Clicking Domains will take you to a list of your domains if you have multiple. Click the domain name from the list to be taken to its overview page.
- Perform the following:
- Set the transfer lock for the domain off.
- Retrieve your domain's authorization code. You will need to provide it to the receiving registrar.
- Check the admin and owner contact to ensure the email address is valid, and you have access to it. If they are not, make changes to the registration records to make sure they are up to date.
Note: When changing your registration records, make sure to toggle "Don't apply a 60-day transfer lock to this domain". Once this lock is applied, we cannot lift it, and you'll need to wait before transferring.
- Check the domain's nameservers to see if they're pointing to Hover—ns1.hover.com and ns2.hover.com.
- If your domain is currently using Hover nameservers, you will need to prep your domain's nameservers and DNS with your new provider before starting a transfer. Failure to do so can lead to a loss of service until the transfer completes.
Note: Nameservers cannot be changed while a transfer is in progress. Reach out to your new provider to get their recommendation on how best to prepare for the transfer.
- Now you can initiate the transfer to your new provider.
- Once you have initiated the transfer at your provider of choice, a transfer-away email will be sent out to the owner's contact email. This email contains a link you can follow where you can confirm or cancel your transfer. In some cases, this may expedite the transfer.
Transferring .UK domains
.UK domain transfers are similar to the standard transfer process but differ slightly. Instead of using an authorization code like with most transfers, the losing Registrar—Hover in this case—needs to change the domain's registrar (IPS) tag before the transfer initiates. Reach out to your new provider to obtain the IPS tag, and we can change it for you.
Note: Similar to the standard transfer process, prep your nameservers before changing the IPS tag, failure to do so will result in domain downtime.
Additional information about transferring
- There is a 60-day transfer lock applied to new domain registrations and domain transfers. ICANN enforces this policy, and all domain registrars must follow it.
- The new provider may require the admin or owner contact email address to receive and approve the transfer before it can be initiated. Once this is approved, the transfer will be submitted.
- To cancel a transfer out of Hover, you must decline the transfer using the link in the confirmation email.
- Once you have approved the transfer, we cannot cancel it.
Still need some help? Submit a Request.