.CA is the country code TLD for Canada and is regulated by the Canadian Internet Registration Authority (CIRA).
.CA registration requirements and legal types
CIRA, the .CA domain registry, requires all .CA registrations to have a Canadian presence. To this end, .CA domain names can only be registered by individuals or organizations with a presence in Canada.
To register a .CA domain name you need to be a Canadian Citizen, a permanent resident of Canada, or an organization in Canada such as a corporation, partnership, educational institution, or government entity.
When you register your .CA domain name you will be asked to select a legal type that specifies what type of individual or organization you are.
Note: if you are registering your .CA domain name as an individual, the Organization field in your domain registration records needs to be left blank.
Below is a list of all available legal types:
- Aboriginal Peoples (individuals or groups) indigenous to Canada
- Canadian Educational Institution
- Canadian Hospital
- Canadian Library, Archive, or Museum
- Canadian Political Party
- Canadian Trade Union
- Canadian Unincorporated Association
- Canadian citizen
- Government or government entity in Canada
- Her Majesty the Queen
- Indian Band recognized by the Indian Act of Canada
- Legal Representative of a Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident
- Official mark registered in Canada
- Partnership Registered in Canada
- Permanent Resident of Canada
- Trademark registered in Canada (by a non-Canadian owner)
- Trust established in Canada
More information on CIRA's Canadian Presence Requirements can be found at this URL: http://www.cira.ca/assets/Documents/Legal/Registrants/CPR.pdf
Registrant contact information
As of March 6, 2014 at 23:00 EST, the following information must be provided for the Registrant contact (also known as the Owner contact) whenever a domain name is registered or updated.
Note: This does not affect renewals.
- First name
- Last name
- Email address
- Phone number
- Street address
- Province/State (mandatory when Canada or US is selected, otherwise optional)
- Postal Code (mandatory when Canada or US is selected, otherwise optional)
Important: If you do not include all of the required information, orders and contact updates may fail.